1. Water cycle
Figure with detailed labels (If you wake up late at night, from your best dream you’d still have to remember water cycle). Know and understand infiltration, runoff, transpiration, evapo-transpiration.
2. Percentages of existing water (oceans, icecap, freshwater)
3. Influences of running water on human life
4. Unconfined, confined water flow (sheet flow, rills)
5. Longitudinal profile of a stream (draw with labels, and cross-section)
6. Laminar, turbulent flow (Explain the difference to your best friend after dinner, and some beer; If you still can explain it, you will do fine on the test)
7. Factors affecting stream erosion, deposition (Velocity (formula); discharge (formula). I do not believe that you know it, until you calculate some example. Controlling factor of velocity (You better know how to calculate gradient)
8.Stream erosion (Hydraulic action, solution, abrasion)
9. The type of loads in the river (bed load, suspended load, dissolved load, total load) Which one of the different loads is the largest part of transported sediment in the USA?
10. Competence, capacity (What are they, how do they differ?)
11. What is alluvium, where are the bars forming in the river (go out, and experience the difference!!!!!!!
12. Alluvial fan, Braided stream, meandering stream, cutbank, pointbar, oxbow lake, delta, flood plain, natural levees, artificial (draw and explain the meaning of these terms). What kind of problems coming up after building dam, or artificial levee?
13. Drainage basin, Drainage divide
14. Base level (does it sometimes change/ How?)
15. What is a graded/vs ungraded stream?
15. Davies’s cycle of the river (Youth, mature, old age of the river; which is which, how do they differ?). Where do you see lateral erosion, what is head-ward erosion? What is pene-plain?
16. Drainage patterns (dendritic, trellis, radial, rectangular).